Master of Science in Medicine (Psychotherapy)
Mobile 0415 891 346
I work gently, respectfully and confidentially with clients to help them move beyond psychological and existential pain and suffering to lead more vital and fulfilling lives. My approach is collaborative, relational, and research-based. It focuses on fine attunement to the client's specific needs, goals, and feelings, as well as the client's safety and growing sense of self-agency.
I manage a full-time private practice for Individuals and busy Professionals, in the lower Blue Mountains, NSW. My consultation rooms are in Warrimoo 7 minutes from Blaxland.
(1) I offer short, medium, and longer-term counselling and psychotherapy for the following:
* Trauma and Abuse
* Grief and Loss
* Relationship Issues
* Lifestyle Changes
* Work- related issues
* Deeper, more complex issues e.g. Complex Trauma, Personality Disorders, Dissociative Disorders.
(2) I also offer Consultations / Debriefing Sessions for busy Professionals. The benefits of "downloading" or "decompressing" are well documented. Debriefing helps keep work issues from encroaching upon family and social relationships.
Conversational Model, Interpersonal, Narrative Therapy, Person Centred, Psychoanalytic, Psychodynamic
I'm a contemporary psychoanalytic / psychodynamic psychotherapist. My approach is collaborative, conversational, client-centred, and relational. It is grounded in a safe, gentle, respectful and highly attuned form of therapy, which privileges the expression of feelings and works at the client's pace. It aims wherever possible to follow the client - rather than lead. It's purpose is to foster a sense of self-agency and sometimes to integrate past trauma or neglect
Importantly, I don't use a "one-size-fits all" approach, because what each client finds useful and helpful - even from session to session - varies considerably.
Client feedback is encouraged and valued in the spirit of true collaboration.
I have regular clinical supervision of the highest calibre. I'm an ANZAP Registered Psychotherapist ®.
I actively seek feedback to ensure clients are meeting their goals for therapy.
Investing in ongoing professional development ensures I'm conversant with new methods, research & theory. I'm a passionate advocate & participant of lifelong learning & education. My current research project examines the role of writing in the development of self & the recovery from trauma.
Over the past 18 years I've had valuable experience in the following areas:
* Individual, Couple & Family Counselling and Psychotherapy for a wide range of issues.
* Treatment of Complex Trauma, Personality Disorders, Dissociation, PTSD
* Working with Adult Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse & Domestic Violence
* Working with Professionals who suffer from Vicarious Traumatisation, Burnout & Work-Related Stress.
* Conflict Resolution - Mediation & Family Dispute Resolution
* Couple Counselling
* Working with Post-Separated Children & Families
* Working with Children: Trauma, Bullying, Grief & Loss
* Facilitating Therapeutic Groups
* Delivering Professional Training and Supervision
* Consultancy for not-for-profit organisations
Call now to book a free 15-minute phone consultation:
* To discuss any questions you may have about the process of therapy
* To determine if you would like to book a session.
* You can also email me to book an appointment: email@example.com
* There is parking on site.
* Wheelchair access.
* Consultation rooms are approximately 20 mins from Penrith; 10 mins from Springwood; 6 mins from Glenbrook; 30 mins from Wentworth Falls; 40 mins from Katoomba; 7 mins from Blaxland.
* Please telephone to discuss my fee structure and session length.
* Cash, Personal Cheque, or Electronic Funds Transfer
* Receipts will be issued for all payments.
Psychotherapist, Psychodynamic Psychotherapist
Phone: 0415 891 346
Karen is a contemporary psychodynamic psychotherapist, and an ANZAP Registered Psychotherapist ®, specialising in Individual Psychotherapy and consultations for busy Professionals. Karen holds a number of postgraduate degrees, including a Master of Science in Medicine in Psychotherapy, from the University of Sydney. Trained in multiple modalities, she specialises in working with complex cases and complex / developmental trauma, including couple work & working through affairs...